Thursday, August 5, 2010

One more night

           I'm laying on the top bunk in one of the rooms in the volunteer house in Accra. I've really missed Cape Coast being here. I just finished editing the video I've been working on about my two months here in Ghana. Although working on the video made me miss everyone in Cape Coast, I have finally come to feel ready to go back home. Not because I don't like it here, but simply because I'm ready for some Nicaragua time before going back to Savannah for a crazy busy Fall quarter.
          I did get a pleasant surprise on this my last night in Ghana. Esther, one of the first Global Mamas and dear new friend of mine from Cape Coast came to spend the night in the house and is staying in my room. She is in Accra to go to the U.S. embassy early tomorrow morning to interview for her visa. She has been invited to a fair trade conference  in Minnesota in September. She has also been invited to be the keynote speaker at this conference. Global Mamas has helped her and inspired her so much that she has started her own NGO as a vocational school to teach people who lack of means certain skills, like sewing, that can help empower them and their families. Among the many documents Esther is taking to her appointment at the embassy, are photographs of her with George W. Bush when he came to Ghana and visited with Global Mamas. A picture of George W. Bush hugging Esther made it to the front page of some local newspapers. Renae was telling me that the ex-president also quoted Esther in one of his speeches. So I'm praying that the Lord will see this work to completion and allow Esther to get her visa so she can visit the U.S. for the first time and attend this conference.

                                                      With Esther and Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment